Sunday, September 11, 2011

Hip Timing - Why delay might be the wrong choice

Cosmetic Surgery Gone Wrong

My world was divided into two parts. With drugs, I was pretty well the pain, but unable to focus or concentrate on anything. Without him, I was in severe pain and my mobility is reduced, so that I barely make the stairs to leave the house. The diagnosis - severe arthritis. My life was centered on my hip and the prospect of surgery.

Cosmetic Surgery Gone Wrong

A hip replacement at 52? No! Of course, I was too young. I asked my doctor friends were unanimous in their answers;"Delay with a hip replacement as long as possible." Well, I'm stoic, I hung up. But for how long? How do I know if I had reached "as long as possible?" How do I value the time that I want to go on a waiting list? How should I in this? It was really waiting for the right answer? I entered "hip-timing" into Google and began to read.

Cosmetic Surgery Gone Wrong

The first thing I learned is that all owners of the plants have a limited life. When bothSurfaces rub together, they poured minute debris. This debris is setting up a reaction in the body, loosens tight facility. A loose implant is an implant painful. Sooner or later must be replaced.

Cosmetic Surgery Gone Wrong

Not only come with time, we connected the system, but also what we do with it. The more active the patient, the higher the rate of wear and adolescents are generally more active than their parents. I think one of my desiredResults of surgery was to restore an active lifestyle. Perhaps a bit 'wiser than ever (do not go up more), but always where I am disabled from time to time.

I also learned that weight plays a crucial role in the speed with which a common activity, such as a hip hard. Heavier patients with even faster than lighter ones. This is true both for the municipality of origin and its replacement. The mechanical engineering students will understand that 1 kg of body weightWeight about 4 kg puts pressure on your side.

But no one knew who cares? If the artificial hip is fairly simple, routine operation safely as they could change my system, if it is? Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Revision surgery involves the construction of the plant earlier and replaced by a new and more complex. Second Time Around (not to mention a third) there is less bone to work with and the tissue around the joint,and held together, have lost much of its flexibility. Without this flexibility, it is difficult to precisely align the new plants and the correct orientation is essential to reduce wear.

There is also a greater likelihood of a serious complication post-operatively after the revision. They are evil. These include painful dislocation (a trip to A & E), infections (perhaps to clean removal of the implant of new infections) and deep vein thrombosis (potentiallydisastrous!).

The case seemed to be done - delaying action - not a plant for a lifetime.

I was convinced. I was 10 minutes, when I do this, what would it mean for me began to think convinced. Years of pain and drugs have become heavier and a declining living inside and outside the home.

I started to look beyond the subject. Can the next generation of plants come to my rescue?

In conventional hipSide of the prosthesis was made of polyethylene, which is consumed rather quickly. Give this to replace a metal-metal implants and prolongs the life of the new joint. Even better was ceramic on ceramic - in which both sides are made of a combination of metal-oxide known as ceramics. This has a very low wear and, unlike its counterparts in metal-metal is not associated with metal debris could be hazardous. This form of ceramics is the second most difficultFor diamond the hardest - the substance on the planet. Somehow I doubt that would be available on the NHS. According to the most difficult, but it sounded good. How long will it take?

Well, the jury is still out on this issue, especially since these new implants are still under development and sufficient time is not yet complete, to evaluate their wear. Hopefully then between 25-30 years - about twice the life of a conventional plant. A quick calculation and realized that I would only be amore (unless I was a Guinness Book of Records as a sort of life).

I was beginning to swing rather than the first approach, some information when I addressed the physiological problems associated with delay in operation found. Physicians have always recognized that delaying the intervention has meant that the patient would have had to endure growing pains and lack of mobility, but the approach seems to be there only had to endure. Now the long-term consequencespain and reduced mobility are recognized.

In anticipation of my hip operation continues to be eroded more and more is the amount of pain I felt and the need for a stronger medication. In addition, this could also help gradually deform the joint itself and therefore the options for surgery less invasive, such as hip resurfacing may be lost.

But not only the affected leg, which is not damaged. As leg "bad"less able to withstand the weight of the leg "good" to get more work. The danger is that the extra burden on the leg "good" is the hip and the knee to accelerate their decline and may even lead to other joint replacement surgery.

It is not over yet. All this pain and reduced mobility would result in weight gain, muscle loss, reduced quality of life and inability to perform daily activities such as shopping and socializing. Thesounded like a recipe for depression.

A survey of young patients with hip and recovery.com undertaken - a one-stop shop information - showed that nearly 30% believe that younger patients should undergo surgery early intervention and delayed surgery had significantly influenced their lives. The concerns most frequently cited were the loss of quality of life and damage to joints. One respondent wrote moving as she was not able toParticipation in the life of their growing family due to pain and immobility.

There is no simple answer to the question, what is the best time. I believe it is essential that all patients the benefits and risks is going hip surgery early or late to understand. This understanding allows an informed discussion with your surgeon. If your doctor totally contradicts, and does not accept his thesis, then ask someone whose views are knownlikely to meet their own.

Some indication of when it's time for operation:

When the pain wakes up at night If you take opiates every day. If you can not walk for a mile or carrying a shopping bag. When you realize you can not take care of them If the quality of life has decreased dramatically.

So I wait? Well, I tried to put a little '. I called my consultant that I said almost bone on bone and the maximumI could take two years. We decided to not be worth it.

There are now 13 weeks post-op, which is fairly painless. Yesterday I ran up the stairs. I started - and social shopping. I have a life. I love my new hip.

Hip Timing - Why delay might be the wrong choice

Cosmetic Surgery Gone Wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment